Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Shimokitazawa

So on Saturday Lidia and I skipped PE again, and went to Shimokitazawa with our friend Fune. It turned out to be probably my favorite place in Japan that I've been so far. Its just a small area without too many large buildings. Instead it has narrow streets with really interesting shops tucked away in them; lots of great thrift Stores, "Flea Markets", little restaurants, Cd shops that actually carry good Indie music, book stores filled with mint condition 90's music magazines, used record stores, used Kimono stores, huge everythingthatisawesome stores hidden in basements (Village/Vanguard), and more awesome thrift stores. We also went to a "Dagashiya" or I think that's how you say it... "junk food store"..? Basically a tiny shop run by an ogiichan or obaachan that sells traditional (but not too traditional) Japanese candy and snacks. It also has an assortment of old toys and trading cards left over from their era or popularity. It's really the most enjoyable thing ever. I should have taken some pictures but I was seriously too enamored by everything that it completely slipped my mind. I probably would have filled a huge bag full of treats but stupid me forgot to put money in my wallet when I left the house so I only had 2,000 yen with me. That's like 20 bucks, which would be fine if we were in Hawaii but everything in Japan is super expensive. I was lucky that we were in Shimokitazawa because a lot of things there make it a point to be super cheap, its like their charm. But I did by a little jello pop that (that was delicious) and a Make-Your-Own gummy candy sushi set. Its pretty fucking fun looking, I'm excited to say the least. hah.
So one of the greatest shops that I mentioned was Village Vanguard.
I don't really know how to describe it but awesome. Its a book store but sells basically everything, in the best sense. From fake boobs for your amusement
to Pickle flavored Pringles
to swimming panda toys!
They also sell great DVDs such as this one that they were showing a trailer for.

I could spend like a day in there, not to mention lots of money buying relatively useless things....
Anyways, here are some other pics. I'm being kinda lazy and putting them all at the end today.

A fun costume slash hat store.Street Musicians! "Flea Market" Pretty much an indoor garage sale.Fune and Lidia
Okonomiyaki!

Good shiet.

2 comments:

The ATK said...

was that store like, a panda store? or did it just have a panda section.

Sarahbear said...

it just had a panda selection.... and that happened to be what i took pictures of.... because thats what i happened to like...