Thursday, September 18, 2008

Home, Sick, and Homesick

So I guess Japan has taught me my first lesson, and I'm sick. The weather is so weird here. When I first arrived it was really hot for the first few days. Hot, and very humid. As you can see form this picture of my room, it has a big sliding door.
So I was sleeping with it open at night and it was perfect. All of a sudden though, it got ridiculously cold! I feel asleep with the door open just a crack on...monday night? And I woke up early in the morning with a sore throat and shivering, it was so fucking cold. So then I went to school that day in a thin dress with long sleeves and jeans underneath and by like 10 o'clock the heat was ridiculous. So basically I got to know the weather here the hard way. By wednesday night I had a high fever. 
It really sucks, being sick by yourself in a foreign country. In the haze of my fever I felt so vulnerable and kind of broke down. I couldn't help but think that I had literally gotten sick because I was so homesick. The whole initial experience is just kind of overwhelming. For the first few days it kind of felt like a dream, but when I got the fever, it hit me that the people who care for me when I'm weak are so far away right now. But when my host mom finally got home she nursed me back to health and made me chicken soup and tea. I didn't go to school today so she stayed home and took care of me and made me delicious meals. So, I feel a lot better. 
That is what the rest of my room looks like. It's smaller than what I'm used to, but I've become really comfortable it in. (And I've put all of my clothes on the shelves and rack by now)
And the lighting is really nice in the morning. 

I have a lot to write about my school, and I'll post it soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i know what you mean. when i got sick while i was in germany it was the most depressed I had felt in a while. getting sick when you're not at home is shitty.

The ATK said...

sick when you're anywhere away from home is hard. yay for hostmoms! and yay for you for sticking through it and giving yourself some time to recover. you'll keep getting better and the trip will keep getting better. believe me :)

Tea said...

Hello apple pie :]
Im sending you healing energy in a little bubble of love and li hing mui,
being sick without the creature comforts of home is difficult but Im sure your body will start to adjust and realize that japan may not be hawaii but it could be close to as awesome :]
Only a few more months,
and were going to be waiting for you at home with open arms and a GAINT ''sarah is so awsome'' cake.

Lets skype soon my love :]
x